We've got a new home!

The whole new Fishtarian.com is designed to better serve you featuring much more content and fun! Join our house warming party at Fishtarian.com today.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Lesson Learned From My Father

At age of 60, my dad had undergone two coronary bypass surgeries. Watching him suffering from his heart problems, I decided to find a way to live a healthy life.

The problems with my dad's heart disease had several folds. The biggest problem was his inability to manage his diet. Even after his second heart surgery, he continued having red meat despite warnings from his doctor. His diet tended to endure very strong taste as well as spices.

Secondly, he was a strong believer in medication. He believed that the drugs prescribed by his cardiologist would protect his heart and keep arteries clean, even though he did not follow doctor's advices to restrain his diet. He often took additional medicines either recommended by friends of his or found on TV commercials. All those drugs were not able to protect him from heart attacks, but simply added unnecessary load on his liver.

Lastly, my dad was extremely hard working. My parents had owned and run a successful business for over forty years. He did not plan for his retirement and intended to keep the business running, until he was unable to. He was constantly under stress, and had very little time for rest, needless to say, exercises. The only exercise he did often was to jog as fast as he could, when he had to make a short trip to somewhere. Unfortunately, that alone did not appear enough to keep his heart in good shape.

Today, heart attack remains the leading killer of men and women in the United States. I have seen many people behaving like my father ended their life at young age. The fact is that heart attacks can be prevented. It is never too late for one to start taking care of their heart and live a healthy life. The solution is simple - to become a fishtarian. In short, that means living a healthy lifestyle and enjoying a healthy diet. It is not as hard as you first thought. I have done it myself. So can you. I will show you how in my future posts and help you along the way.

No comments: